Frank Jay Haynes, known as F. Jay or the Professor, was Yellowstone's official park photographer from 1884-1921. His photographs were widely published in articles, books and made into souvenir postcards in the late 19th and early 20th century.
F. Jay got started in photography in Minnesota where he opened his own photography studio. In 1885 he took his photography on the road - or more appropriately coined - on the tracks. He bought a train car from the Northern Pacific Railroad and turned it into a photo studio. The railroad pulled his car for a small fee and the agreement that F. Jay would take publicity photos of the train. This turned into a job as the official photographer for the Northern Pacific Railway.
1887 Winter Tour of Yellowstone
In 1877, F. Jay met Yellowstone superintendent Philetus Norris who urged him to take photos of Yellowstone's wonders. It was another four years before F. Jay made it to Yellowstone, but he quickly made his mark. His 42 photos taken during the winter of 1887 were the first to ever be taken during this time of year and are some of his most famous.
After Mr. Haynes' death, a peak in the Madison Canyon area of the park was named after him, Mount Haynes.
Postcards Made from Haynes' Photographs
Below are a few of the vintage postcards made from Haynes photography. (Images courtesy of NPS)