Unique, cool, hip, serene, welcoming and replete with natural beauty—what are you looking for in your next vacation? Missoula has the unparalleled natural beauty and cultural vibrancy to make your experience unforgettable. Nestled in the Northern Rockies of Montana, surrounded by seven wilderness areas and at the confluence of three rivers, Missoula is an outdoor enthusiast’s dream. You can kayak, raft or tube through town or take a hike in 60,000 acres of wilderness minutes from your hotel. Missoula is known for its blue-ribbon trout fishing and spectacular natural beauty.
Missoula also is a regional destination for shopping and dining, with an abundance of excellent shops, restaurants and breweries to fit all budgets and palates. Known for its eclectic culture, visitors will find this cultural hub filled with an endless array of entertainment.
Here are our favorite 10 things to do in Missoula.
1. Tour the Missoula Aerial Fire Depot & Smokejumper Center, the largest active smokejumper base in the country.
2. Buy an inflatable tube at Ace Hardware and tube the Clark Fork River or kayak on Brennan’s Wave at Missoula’s Whitewater Park.
3. Hike the M for spectacular Missoula views. You can access the trailhead behind the university's stadium. There are restrooms and a water fountain at the trailhead.
4. Take the kids and man’s best friend to Sweet Peaks Ice Cream Shop for your favorite flavor (Get Chicken & Beef Ice Cream for the dog.) Or go for the “Best Ice Cream” ranked by Good Morning America at Big Dipper downtown.
5. Be a kid at one of the world’s fastest carousels at A Carousel for Missoula.
6. Have some fun with science at Spectrum.
7. Visit the Elk Country Visitor Center Museum and walk the nature trail.
8. Shop at more than 100 boutiques, galleries and specialty stores set in numerous historic districts.
9. Attend a tasting at a local winery or brewery. Be sure to stop for a cold Moose Drool at Big Sky Brewing.
10. Attend a festival. The annual Montana Festival of the Book, International Wildlife Film Festival and the International Choral Festival are among the many events that draw attendees from around the globe.
For more information